Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Fruitarian Interview - 31 - Mango Wodzak

31st in my series of interviews with fruitarians, this time someone's interviewing me! (Thanks Rudolf!!) - See also the short audio (radio) interview with me here.
Hello mango, we've known each other for some years now and I know that you're a happy Frutarian.

How did you reach the idea to become fruitarian?


Well, it was a slow process for me following a series of revelations about diet, food and life in general. I went through all the steps of omnivorism, vegetarian, vegan, raw fooder and fruitarian, with each step being equally important and life changing for me, finally reaching fruitarianism through a goal of simplifying and a desire to minimise harm to the planet and its inhabitants - in addition of course to the added health benefits..

mango the fruitarian

Who were your role models?

There have been many people, and books, that have influenced me in my life, but although they've given me food for thought, I've never really aspired to be like anyone else, instead focusing more on trying to improve who I myself am.. - Meeting with varying degrees of success!

The problem I find with life, is that truth and falsehood are so intertwined it is often difficult to judge what is good and what isn't, but I do believe there is good in everyone, and that everyone has something to teach everyone else.. IE We can all learn from each other.

Was it difficult for you to become fruitarian?

Well, like I said, it was a slow process and took many years.. I was calling myself a fruitarian long before I had fully succeeded in putting it fully into practise, purely because although I was still eating things that I knew weren't completely ideal (like carrots, kohlrabi, radishes, lettuce or even the inoccasional steamed potato!!- for various reasons), I had a knowledge, goal and strong yearning toward solely fruit eating (indeed something I had already done for long stretches at a time), and knew that I would one day succeed..

I think an important step in helping me be successful at sticking at a fruit diet, was moving to be with Kvĕta. It really helps to be living with someone that for the most part shares ones thoughts and beliefs, especially, in this case, concerning diet.

From your own experiences, what are the benefits of the fruitarian way of life?

The benefits are manifold, but more to the point for me, is what are the disadvantages of not being fruitarian!? Eating cooked food makes us sick.. Eating grains and cereals helps turn the earth into a desert.. The fruitarian way of life seeks to bring health back to the planet, the individual, and of course the animals, with that all important emphasis on minimising harm and destruction.

I fully believe that a wide range of good quality fruit not only cleanses us internally, but also supplies us with any and all of our daily nutritional needs.

mango the fruitarian

In your opinion, are there any disadvantages connected with fruitarianism?

Healthwise, none that I can think of.. Socially it may be an issue for some, and there may be times and places where one might be left with little choice but to go hungry, but in general I seek to avoid such situations..

What does your family think of your way of life?

My parents have learned to live with my choices, and even been influenced by them.. I think generally they agree that a fruit diet is healthy, and I believe they may also be a little secretly envious that they are so unable to do the same, and are still hooked on bread and meat. To give them credit though, their diets have definitely improved over the past years, and in my opinion, they now eat far more healthily than they ever did when I was a kid, conusming only a fraction of the amount of animal products they once did, and much more fruit, especially when they are spending time in Spain.

How has life improved for you since your emigration to Australia?

Well, I have a hand to hold now, and the future is looking more clear in terms of making my fruitarian paradise dream come true..

Have you made new fruitarian friends since arriving in Australia, or is the Internet a better way to meet fruitarians?

Well, to be honest I've not met too many people at all here yet.. I'm still living in Sydney with Kveta, as we wait for the bureaucratic stuff to be processed. I did meet one guy, Julian, who turned fruitarian after we met.. But still at the moment it seems to be mostly the internet that keeps me in touch with other fruitarians..

What do you think of the international connection of likeminded fruitarians?

Yeah, through the Internet, I've met a fair few people interested in the fruit diet, but unfortunately the internet can give a false view of things, with some people misrepresenting themselves, so it's difficult to know really who's who and what's what.. I don't believe anything can really beat face to face meetings or local gatherings..



Do you find that Australia is offering you a more social environment with more people on your wave length?

One thing's for sure, walking bare foot here is really not something viewed as extremely unusual, as is the case with England, where I grew up. Back in England I often got shouted abuse for having long hair, being bare foot, or just generally looking hippyish. I can recall several occasions clearly where I felt intimidated or even threatened.

Here, on the other hand, it is accepted, and noone realls bats an eyelid. Socially though, I am still pretty much a recluse, and apart from květa of course, and a few neighbours that I don't really have much in common with, I don't really know that many people here. I am really looking forward to leaving Sydney and heading to the Tropics, where I hope to catch up with some old friends, and connect with new ones..



How does paradise look like for you?

My dream is to find a piece of land with some well established fruit trees already producing on it.. The land should have fresh water on it (for bathing), and plenty of privacy and freedom to plant more trees and practise naturism..

Paradise for me though, would be void of all carnivorous habits, all blood sucking insects, venomous snakes and used car sales-people, so I'm unlikely to find that while earth bound.. Still, I'm the eternal optimist - never say never..

Are you permitted to stay in Australia indefinitely?

Not yet. Touch wood, if all goes well, I should get that paperwork finished by September this year, 2009. Until then, I'm just waiting as patiently as I'm capable..

Do you miss your home country, or feel sometimes you want to return to Europe?

I don't miss the UK, or the rest of Europe. But do miss my parents and sister and her family.. If it weren't for them, I think it doubtful that I would ever return.. But they are there, so I will likely be back in Europe at some point. - I've yet to figure my finances out first though..

How do you cope being a fruitarian in this world?

I generally don't make such a big deal out of it. I see the world as mad, but that's not for me to fix.

In your opinion, why do you think it is that most people never, or only rarely, take the step from omnivorism/vegetarianism/veganism to fruitarianism?

I think the simplest of answers is that they get stuck..

The world is full of conflicting ideas and opinions, and only few share the insight to progress to fruit.. For others, the brainwashing is too difficult to fully overcome.. And I hate to say it, but if people don't have that faith, understanding and commitment to stick at 100% fruit, then it is pretty inevitable that they will fail, even if they momentarily adopt the belief that fruit's the way to go. Mostly, I think, because of fear.. - When things get too tough, they will make all kinds of excuses to themselves; that fruit is in some way inadequate, and that they need this or that vitamin, protein, or whatever else it is that the media is using their scaremongering tactics about..

So there's that social pier pressure side of things, where family and basically well meaning friends that lack the insight will try their darnedest to convince us that we are on the wrong track and that science has already somehow proven that we are destined to fail, with potentially catastrophic results(!), and then there's also that plain old addiction that stops people advancing, and that much as they may understand at some level that fruit is a superior source of nutrition to other food stuffs, they will be too hooked on zombie flesh, cheesy yoghurts, raw gourmet foods, or breads or even spinach and rocket.. Addiction is a serious psychological and physical problem, and prevents many of us from reaching our goals..



Do you think you would ever like to have kids?

Mixed feelings. Yes, I'm pretty sure, I would love to have children in my life.. but only if i were fully settled in the right place.

Is there anything you are particularly fond of?

durian maybe? sunbathing naked.. Beaches.. Exploring the unexplored.

Are you happier and healthier since becoming a fruitarian?

I'd say yes to both..

What do you still wish for in your life?

Like I said, to find myself a good home in the countryside, and to grow fruit trees.. Also to set up some kind of healing retreat there, where people can come and do fruit juice cures.. And to finally finish writing a book I've been working on for too long now.. Hopefully these things will help get money flowing once more.. It's been a while since I had any significant source of income.



What is your latest and most important knowledge?

Good question.. I've been constantly witnessing 2 things over recent months..

The first is just how much people tend to waste.. Since I started recycling other peoples junk, which all began some months ago, when I began seeing the value in disguarded scrap metal, and progressed to countless finds of bric-a-brac that kveta and I clean up and sell at a local market.. Honestly so much good stuff is thrown out before it's worn out. what a waste!

and 2ndly, how much the raw food movement has been taken over for commercial gain.. It saddens me to see so many people confusing themselves by calorie counting fiction, protein string theories, and ideas like this 80/10/10 thing which although may stem from well meaning intentions I believe complicate unneccessarily, and take away from the simplicity of just eating fruit and enjoying it as nature intended.. (I think also, that whole "raw gourmet" movement is slowing people down too!)

In your opinion what is the most important in the life of a fruitarian?

Well, actually I don't think that I believe that there's one most important thing.. But I definitely believe that getting as close to the source of my fruit as possible is important, as well as having a wide range of good quality fruit, and a natural peaceful setting to live in, with good friends.. I'm actually missing out on some of that, and definitely noticing it!

22 comments:

Darkmoon Doll said...

Great interview!!!

tanawana said...

Waiting on the book now :O)

rick

Anonymous said...

Love this interview, Mango. . . and all your writings. I always agree with you!

I think you have the most sense of anyone out there. And I really appreciate your honesty.

: )

Love,
Julie

Tinah~ said...

That was a good read. Thanks for sharing, Mango. Great questions.

"if people don't have that faith, understanding and commitment to stick at 100% fruit.." I see that insight and that it makes sense. Often times my environment or social group is not going to support it, but it's that 100% faith in fruit eating that must be there for a person to live a fruitarian lifestyle. I like that active approach about it.

I feel it is quite a gift to have this insight about fruit. Just getting aligned with it and keeping it sacred (not faltering) is something I'm working on.

~~
Peace & love, & thanks! : )

Fruitarian Mango said...

Hi all,
thanks for all your support through comments and feedback!
Rick, I'd love to be able to tell you that my book was x months from completion, but the truth is I've no idea when I will pick it up again and continue.. The book has undergone many mutations since I started,and I've no idea where it's really headed.. Or when.. I've not touched it for a year or so already, and continually put off doing so..

hugs to all,
mango.

Anonymous said...

Hi mango,
Just being an example of a fruitarian.
With such strong faith and commitment and love for the diet. Is inspirational for peopel like me trying to aspire to the same to the same divine level.
I beleive your purpose in life is surely just to be an example of strength for others to follow.
I am a vegan-almost raw food eater. But truly in my heart want to be a fruitarian as I believe God intended us to be.
My only addiction is coffee, or really just the psychological high of having a soyachino when I am out. I am not really physically addicted, it's Just the emotional high of escaping into a coffee shop reading a book and having the froth!! Bread was also an addiction but having given most of it up I have lost the craving. Any suggestions or tips in helping me becoming th pure fruitrian I long to be? Alos would luv to see you write a book. Any source of inspiration to help the rest of us would be a beautiful thing. Thanks for saving so many of us through your presence of Just being a voice... and connectiong us. Keep going.... the world needs your help!!!

Tine said...

thank you for all the interviews :)
i'm a recently french woman 100% fruitarian... by your sites, you help me in progression.

for now i'm in detoxination, sometimes it's very hard because i have a past made in part of drugs ("soft"), and my body is a little ill for other things (hormonal pb), but nothing grave...
i wait in confiance and continue this paradisiac alimentation.

impatient to eat a durian !

yesterday, i send you a mail by your other website, hope you'll read it.

waiting on your book too !!!

take care
love

Fruitarian Mango said...

Hi anonymous & tine,
thank you both for your comments..

anonymous, you will surely succeed as you are clearly winning the battle of addiction.. Just keep evolving as you are.. Perhaps instead of the coffee and the book, your new image could be a freshly squeezed fruit juice with one.. That may work!

Good luck, and when you get onto an all fruit diet, let me know, and I'd love to interview you!!

Tine, I'm pleased you are finding the interviews inspirational.. Perhaps you may also be interviewed and inspire others?

By the way, I got your email, but understand I am very very slow at replying to emails.. sometimes it takes weeks or more.. I am behind with lots of things, and not enough hours in the day!!

peace,
mango

kristo said...

Hi Mango,

Thank you for all these interviews.
Great job !

I live in France and just start fruitarianism 2 weeks ago after being rawfoodist during 3 years.
Your site is a great source of inspiration for me.

I try to share my experiments and researches on a french forum, Eco-bio.info, where I translate your interviews of Anne and Cappi (http://www.eco-bio.info/forum/upload/index.php?s=&showtopic=7234&view=findpost&p=60436) which I think, could inspire new french fruitarians.

Thank you so much for the wonderful job you are doing.

Hugs
kristo

Fruitarian Mango said...

Hi Kristo,
thanks for the great translations! I will publish them both here too.. I tried to sign up on your forum to thank you, but am having trouble validating my email or something, (my userid is mangodurian).. Anyhow, thank you once more, and would you also be up for an interview??

peace,
mango.

kristo said...

Thanks, mango.

I think, to avoid spam and that kind of stuff, there is a validation period before being a member on Eco-bio. Maybe you can try again later, it should work.

There seems to be at least 4 french people presently following a fruitarian diet on Eco-bio but beginners like I. Maybe we could wait a little for the interview because my experiment is so fresh ! But it's up to you.

hugs
kristo

Fruitarian Mango said...

Thanks Kristo, the validation period was obviously my problem! I'm behind with interviews at the moment, and have a few in the pipeline.. whenever you feel ready, just let me know, and i'll add you to my list!
peace,
mango

chrissy said...

Hi Mango,
i read about James Morrison in the "New Idea" magazine becoming a frutarian, wow i absolutely adore fruit but thought you couldn't survive just on fruit! we have all been fed bullshit, how we need bread, carbs, protein etc but do you need a multivitamin tablet to supplement the fruit regime? or is that just bullshit toooo? it's just past midnight and when i wake up tomorrow i will be starting the first day on fruit and for the rest of my life because it all makes sense...
p.s. do you eat avacardo's??
Do you have any tips for newcomers??
CHEERS,
CHRISSY :)

cedricia said...

Hi, Fruitarian,
I discover your blog, wonderful
Here join our Raw vegan French Social Network:
http://crulinaires.free.fr
I love to contact you
Cedricia
From France

Fruitarian Mango said...

Hi Chrissy,
yeah, they mentioned james morrison on the interview i had on the radio too.
i'm afraid the multivitamins are all bullshit too.. it's all really about commerce, and much of so called nutritional science has it's roots in the financial thinkings behind the food industry..

Yes, I eat avos, although my partner and fellow fruitarian, kveta currently does not. Tips for newcomers? Read, practise, and experience for yourself the benefits.. i wish you good luck on the fruitfilled journey ahead of you..

Cedricia, greetings to you in france! nice to see more people turning toward fruit from europe,
peace,
mango

Unknown said...

Hello Mango,
I think that you are a good and honest man. In the name of goodness and honesty, don't you think that you should mention that a fruitarian diet could cause teeth problems? Isn't it fair for someone to be told all the facts or at least the ones you know before they start on the fruit journey?
Have you read Joanna Brandt's Grape Cure Diet? Quite amazing.
Bill R
USA

Fruitarian Mango said...

Hi Bill,
actually, I have already, on numerous occasions, addressed the issue of teeth and diet.. I give the facts as i see them.. maybe facts is too much of a concrete word.. call them beliefs, if you wish.. you don't have to believe them.. actually, i'd advise anyone to be skeptical of any facts.. don't believe, - experience..

for the teeth, i will state once more briefly, that i don't believe that a fruit diet need be the cause of any tooth loss.. there are dangers to look out for, like eating unripe fruit.. (my own mistake).. and i do believe that in the vast majority of cases, people reach fruitarianism after many years of soul searching, and already subjecting their teeth to far more detrimental foods than unripe fruit, and this has often lead to possibly irreparable damage.. the effects of severe detox (through yoyo dieting) can be the last straw for them and push them to collapse..

also it is worth baring in mind, that those reaching a fruit diet, have often already seen the folly of doctors and dentists, and it may well be that through avoiding the dentist, damage that may with "normal" individuals that do visit dentists that would normally be repaired, is not repaired.. Thus fruitarians might let go of artificially supporting their teeth, and let nature take it's role..

myself, i don't know everything about teeth.. far from it.. i still have a head full of questions.. Is teeth brushing necessary? Can a 3rd dentition appear? and if so under what circumstances?

It seems that no other animals are cleaning their teeth excessively like humans have been taught, and their teeth tend to generally last for their lives, at least the majority of them.. and there have certainly been cases of 3rd sets of teeth forming.. but i'm not suggesting anyone stops brushing.. i'm merely wondering out loud... i do believe though that a 3rd dentition is only a possibility if we do not interfere with nature by cosmetic surgically rebuilding teeth that would otherwise naturally fail us..

Yes, i've read the grape cure.. many years ago.. think i was far from being in 100% agreement with her thoughts, but certainly there are some pearls in there..

peace,
mango.

cheeky said...

What do you think about juice that has been heat treated but still 100% orange juice? I use this to juice fast but is it still at least a little good? I also juice when I have the time, but I don't have a juicer.

Fruitarian Mango said...

cheeky, nope.. not much I'm afraid. You can't beat freshly squozen orange juice. No heat treated carton can come close.

I guess everything is relevant though, and in the grand scheme of things, you could do a lot worse.

Shoes and Prayers said...

Fantastic interview mango. I enjoyed some good laughs of happiness at the site of your beauty & from your spot on words. After the last 5 years. Of incredibly deep soul searching, I am striving to at least maintain a frugivore diet. Ideally I will be fruitarian one day, but time & circumstance will tell. Thank you for the inspiration & devotion. Godspeed & Fruitful Journeys to you!

~ Moses Medene

Fruitarian Mango said...

Glad you enjoyed my interview Moses..

Just in case anyone was unaware, for some years now, Kveta and I have been living out in the country in the tropics are far north Queensland, with many of our dreams fulfilled. I even finished writing that book, and a second one too! fruitnut.net.

One thing that I changed my opinion on since doing this interview, is the desire to set up some kind of healing retreat. Kveta and I have both decided that we prefer the simplicity and privacy of just the two of us. The universe has been mighty kind to us!

Ami said...

Mango, thank you so much for your inspiration. Please also thank, Kveta. She is a great role model. I'm a vegan, getting closer to being fruitarian but it's difficult as I live in the North of England and it's difficult to get hold of a variety of organic fruit, especially in Winter. Since I was a child, I have fantasised about living in a tropical orchard, and living on the fresh fruit. You're living my dream!